NSMB - 2024 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 1, 2024, 6:55 a.m.

Another year another thread about single, double and triple hardtails leaning against stuff. All the best to the NSMB weird bike crew for 2024. :-)

Jan. 1, 2024, 7:21 a.m.

Vik - Nice way to start the year.  Happy New Year to you and all the other leaners.

Jan. 1, 2024, 8:09 a.m.

Thanks for keeping the hardtail stoke going. Happy New Year!

Jan. 1, 2024, 4:29 p.m.

First ride of year.  

Jan. 1, 2024, 5:15 p.m.

My L enigma, roughly the same as last posted, except I replaced the magura mt trail sport brakes with deore 4 piston. I am really enjoying the power curve, as it's more like the saints on my "big bike". 

I have no real plans for it this year honestly, the biggest problem is my full suspension bike is feeling super dialled currently so I'm not riding it much. 

The rear insert is a tannus, I may change that for a burlier option, cushcore pro or similar.

Other than that, while it's fun, especially to just hammer corners with, really it's worse at almost everything versus my full suspension bike haha. 

Jan. 1, 2024, 10:59 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Another year another thread about single, double and triple hardtails leaning against stuff. All the best to the NSMB weird bike crew for 2024. :-)

What's a triple hardtail? In my mind,

Single hardtail = hardtail

Double hardtail = rigid

Triple hardtail = trail running? Unicycle?

Jan. 1, 2024, 11:20 p.m.

Triple HT = Rigid without dropper?

Jan. 2, 2024, 5:44 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

Posted by: Vikb

What's a triple hardtail? In my mind,

Single hardtail = hardtail

Double hardtail = rigid

Triple hardtail = trail running? Unicycle?

So in my mind the 3 types of hardtail are:

- hard back end

- hard fork

- hard dropper

Now I hadn't thought of a mountain unicycle, but I suppose that's worthy of this thread as well. I'm a fan of trail running these days, but I can't really square that into any sort of bicycle category. That said I will happily discuss how I think trail running has inherited a lot of the original spirit of mountain biking [or always had it and I just noticed when MTB lost its mojo] over a pint if anyone will listen to my ramblings. ;-)

Somebody might try and use a technicality to say a FS bike with a rigid post is a hardtail based on the above, but I think we can use common sense and keep those in the FS thread. Though I salute any of our FS high/hard/rigid post sisters and brothers!

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 2, 2024, 5:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2024, 5:51 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Triple HT = Rigid without dropper?

Yes. Here are our two triple hardtails.

Jan. 2, 2024, 5:59 a.m.

Snap on the Triple HT Krampus

I'm back on the -2 headset which I really rate for commuting.

Jan. 2, 2024, 9:22 a.m.

Happy New Year All!

No resolutions other than getting more bike adventures in this year, so to that end I'll post a throwback to sunnier and warmer times :)

Jan. 2, 2024, 10:57 a.m.

Michel - It's always good to see another Cotic. What travel are you running on yours? (i'm sure I have asked before but my memory isn't that good these days).

I have a similar Pike for mine now - currently running the Bird Rigid Fork and -2 Angleset. I think the angleset is a keeper.

Post mid winter rebuild Bin Lean - I have not installed the anti-theft devices yet (I have to admit it does look a lot better without them).

Last edited by: fartymarty on Jan. 2, 2024, 11:44 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 2, 2024, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Michel - It's always good to see another Cotic. What travel are you running on yours? (i'm sure I have asked before but my memory isn't that good these days).

Hi Marty, I'm running 130mm and think it hits a good sweet spot for general trail riding (I leave the gnarlier stuff for my FS these days) and bikepacking.  I like your rigid setup, these are very versatile frames for sure!  I'm working on a semi-parts bin rigid/SS side project to scratch that itch :)

Jan. 2, 2024, 12:44 p.m.

Will be good to see the rigid / SS build.

Jan. 2, 2024, 11:18 p.m.

My current N=1, double hardtail Stooge Scrambler ft. turnip pile:

And a WIP single/double hardtail from Waltworks, that I'll hopefully build up at the beginning of June:

I also have a triple hardtail (mountain unicycle) but it doesn't get as much use as it should, and it's on a different continent than me right now. I got to get some miles in on it when I move back.