Forever After trail vandalism

Dec. 21, 2023, 1:18 p.m.

Saw a post on IG from the NSMBA regarding someone destroying some recent trail work that was done on Forever After. I haven't seen the new work or the damage. Anyone know anything about this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1H5BPHMncT/?igsh=ZmlxNjRleWZtbTNm

Old and slow

Dec. 21, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

I can't quite picture where that specific rock is. Is it at the top of the short, steep climb towards the end of the trail??

(If so, I can sorta understand the need to "dumb the trail down", otherwise I can't think of any other feature of FA which isn't already "dark blue")

Dec. 24, 2023, 11 p.m.

Yeah I think it's the rock after the short climb, right line is smoother but off camber, mid and left lines less of camber but undulate more.

Looks like some of the undulations in the middle were filled in.

I wonder if there were "official" looking signs around regarding the trail work?

It's almost like someone was just confused and assumed the modification was unsanctioned and ripped it out?

That move and the other one shortly after it (rock with some exposure to the right, directly before the wood roll down) are the only things not blue about the trail, it probably makes sense to clean them up a little and return the trail to a blue rating. If the trail fundamentally made more sense as a black I'd say they don't need anything, but to make it a blue it makes sense.

That said I think people only access FA from black rated trails, so maybe it doesn't really matter if it's blue...

Last edited by: Kenny on Dec. 24, 2023, 11:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 25, 2023, 7:38 a.m.

There is a "trail work in progress" sign just above it, regardless based on the picture it's obviously pro work. A rider of integrity, suspecting unsanctioned work, could just post a report in Trailforks.

Dec. 25, 2023, 11:31 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify what happened.

Just can't help but wonder/wish maybe there's a better explanation than just sheer ignorance and narcissism (like some type of misunderstanding or miscommunication). Especially if there was a sign up though, probably not, unfortunately. Just your garden-variety idiot at work.

Dec. 28, 2023, 8:04 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify what happened.

Just can't help but wonder/wish maybe there's a better explanation than just sheer ignorance and narcissism (like some type of misunderstanding or miscommunication). Especially if there was a sign up though, probably not, unfortunately. Just your garden-variety idiot at work.

I was up there the other night, and the amount of effort someone put into willful destruction of some else's hard work is absolutely disgusting.  Personally I think the new work made for a better experience for most people, and still provided several options. Regardless of what you think though, this response is completely unacceptable and whoever did it is an a$$hole.

Dec. 28, 2023, 10:30 p.m.

Maybe someone thought this was a case of "dumbing down the shore", and ripped it out? Even if that person was of that opinion, they should still respect the time / labor it took to complete the work & leave it alone. If the person responsible for the vandalsim was so concerned, they should have discussed the changes with the nsmba.

Dec. 29, 2023, 9:29 p.m.

Coulda' been the ghost of Monica.

Dec. 30, 2023, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Maybe someone thought this was a case of "dumbing down the shore", and ripped it out? Even if that person was of that opinion, they should still respect the time / labor it took to complete the work & leave it alone. If the person responsible for the vandalsim was so concerned, they should have discussed the changes with the nsmba.

Maybe, but it's an intermediate level trail ffs! And it did look like the more challenging lines were left in place.  Whoever did this had zero respect for the work the trail builder put in.