Toddler riding Shotgun with Dad - John Deer

Feb. 15, 2024, 10:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN34rd87IhE

My 2-year-old son and I rode the John Deer trail on Mount Seymour in North Vancouver, BC. Despite facing his fears on some features, we had a wonderful day out, and I believe he learned some valuable lessons from the experience. My hope is that this video will inspire fathers to engage more actively with their children.

Feb. 17, 2024, 5:44 p.m.

I suppose the idea of a crash never crossed your mind......try explaining the results of such to your wife if the kid is seriously hurt. You could save yourself perhaps but not the kid. I suppose you think the helmet is good enough. I remember years ago watching a guy taking his kid in a bike trailer down Bobsled and I thought how ridiculous that was...I thought I would have never seen that in my long history of Shore riding...but I did.   But the no armour part says it all....For the kid's sake I hope you don't find out the hard way.....

Last edited by: Polymath on Feb. 17, 2024, 5:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 18, 2024, 1:45 a.m.

explain to me again, why do people need a license to drive a car but none to breed?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Feb. 18, 2024, 1:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 18, 2024, 4:42 p.m.

So many thoughts. Big rant not productive. Lots of ways to parent I guess. This is not the style I have chosen.

Feb. 19, 2024, 5:09 p.m.

I can't believe what I just watched. Kid's head was like one of those bobble-head figures on a dashboard of a car.

Feb. 19, 2024, 6:41 p.m.

Guess he wants to get an early start on the CTE for his kid? I don't understand the decision making process that led him to believe this was in any way a good idea. So many parts that made me cringe.

Feb. 19, 2024, 7:59 p.m.

That is fucking wild...

Feb. 20, 2024, 7 a.m.

Maybe the kid should have ridden shotgun on "Shotgun" at the Woodlot? (Still shaking my head over this video).

Feb. 20, 2024, 12:33 p.m.

people have different level of risk and reward system. I don't really see the point of criticizing here. How many actually have kids?

Feb. 22, 2024, 3:45 a.m.

Posted by: purebelmont

people have different level of risk and reward system. I don't really see the point of criticizing here. How many actually have kids?

whats the risk and reward here for the kid? did he have any say in this? was he safe and in control? in my opinion thats just child endangerment. those things are meant to be ridden with easy flow trails, to get the kids stoked on riding. was this kid stoked afterwards? did he wanna do it again?

what would he have done if the kid slit even more from the seat to the left? how would he have catched it with both hands on the handlebars?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Feb. 22, 2024, 3:47 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 22, 2024, 11:26 a.m.

I'm sorry, but this was pure idiocy.

Rewatch the video in slow motion. The kid literally falls out of the seat in the first descent, his right hand comes off the bar, his chest is on the handlebar and his right foot nearly goes in to the front wheel.

I'm all for pushing kids to take risks but this was just stupid...

Feb. 22, 2024, 1:05 p.m.

Posted by: purebelmont

Buddha, I assume. 

Brother, it was a bad idea.

Feb. 22, 2024, 1:38 p.m.

Normally, I wouldn’t respond to any online forum but in this instance I have to get my points across.

Firstly, there is absolutely no danger to my child here whatsoever. I know the limits of my bike and the terrain. I will never ride a skinny or do any jump or drop with my children. That is risk to my child, at least with my riding ability on these features. With the trails I choose to ride, I am confident in my ability and there is no more risk for my child than hiking. There is a large gap between the stem and his seat, if he falls he will fall into that gap, he will not go over the bars which is the most dangerous thing that could happen. Also, there is no chance of him falling to the sides as my arms will protect him from falling off.  His foot can not go into the front wheel, he is wearing shoes that restrict this and his legs aren't long enough. The upper limit of trails to be ridden for me are Expresso, John Deer and Gear Jammer on Burnaby Mountain. Will my child face fear? Of course he will, as you can see in this video. In 3.5 years of riding on the shotgun seat, neither of my 2 kids has ever gone over the bars.

Secondly, I have 2 kids and they absolutely love riding on the shotgun seat. There are times when my child will walk up and sit on the shotgun seat begging me to take him for a ride. The viewer here only has a very limited view of what my child is experiencing, they are watching my child in a hyper focused state. I haven’t shared with the viewer when we are paused on the trail and my kids are demanding to be put back on the seat and they are asking me to ride faster.

Thirdly, I have never ever had 1 negative experience on any mountain with any hiker or mountain biker watching me ride with the shotgun seat. Between the rides with my 2 kids on the shotgun seat, I would estimate that I have passed at least 500-750 hikers & mountain bikers over the past 3.5 years since I have been riding with the shotgun seat. I have always been met with smiles and encouragement from both hikers and mountain bikers alike. It is very easy to sit in front of the keyboard and criticize me as a parent, I understand this and it doesn’t bother me at all. I already know that people will pick and choose and criticize, that is what the internet breeds unfortunately.

Fourthly, let’s talk about hyper fragility with kids. This is very common nowadays with kids encouraged to not be exposed to any risk whatsoever. Kids are resilient, go talk to a paediatrician or an orthopaedic surgeon. They will tell you how resilient kids are and many will tell you that kids are made of rubber. Kids fall, cry for 10 minutes and then get up and continue doing whatever sport they are doing. Kids have always been this way, it’s only modern society that is hyper fragile and coddles the child. I’ve carefully assessed all risks on every feature and ride only when I am certain that my kid will be safe.

Fifth point, what my child learns from this experience, seeing me climb up the trail, assess risks, progress in my riding with him is much more valuable and more important to me as a parent and for his overall development than the minimum risk that he may face.

Finally, MY KIDS MY RULES.  I thank all of you for your parenting advice and criticisms.

Feb. 22, 2024, 4:23 p.m.

LMAO subscribe and like first and second, safety third. I am sure your kid will remember these "lessons" years from now... in therapy. Whether that is physical or mental, remains to be seen. Good luck to him.

Feb. 22, 2024, 4:42 p.m.

Please take a moment to enjoy these screencaps of your childs feet coming completely off the pegs and seeming to come dangerously close to the back of the fork arch / wheel as well as him falling forward on the the bar with his chest, and also the nearly fully visible seat that he has fallen off of.

Please also enjoy this screencap of your child straddling your top tube, barely holding on with his left hand, and his right foot again nearly touching your tire.

Last edited by: thaaad on Feb. 22, 2024, 5:57 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Being nicer.