How much do you know about the history of Indigenous people under Canadian rule?

April 16, 2024, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

The deal recognizes the First Nation's title throughout Haida Gwaii, which is made up of more than 150 islands about 90 kilometres west of British Columbia's north coast.
However, it does not impact private property or government jurisdictions, and Rankin has said that litigation would have created "uncertainty for residents and businesses."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-haida-gwaii-title-agreement-1.7173601

I wish I had Eby's unbreakable confidence that nothing will come from this but sunshine and rainbows.  Maybe litigation is not the way to go, but the NDP's pre-election speed run on indigenous title will almost certainly come with future litigation.

April 16, 2024, 9:14 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: chupacabra

That's really cool.  Thanks for sharing.  My family was Scottish, but I am not sure which event caused them to leave Scotland.

money

The Scottish money famine of the 1800s?

April 16, 2024, 9:52 a.m.

Money

He died well off enough but I've seen my father rip a teabag in half cuz old habits die hard, my father's family left Saskatchewan and went back to Britain in 32 cuz the depression on the praires was so bad, there was a depression in Britain but it wasn't as bad as the prairies and that place in Saskachewan no longer exists,

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 16, 2024, 11:35 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 17, 2024, 9:16 a.m.

Money

He died well off enough but I've seen my father rip a teabag in half cuz old habits die hard, my father's family left Saskatchewan and went back to Britain in 32 cuz the depression on the praires was so bad, there was a depression in Britain but it wasn't as bad as the prairies and that place in Saskachewan no longer exists,

LOL. Maybe. I don't even know their first names, but I assume they were cheap bastards.

Last edited by: chupacabra on April 17, 2024, 9:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 17, 2024, 10:24 a.m.

Money

LOL. Maybe. I don't even know their first names, but I assume they were cheap bastards.

well yeah cheap cuz they had known rough times and a lot of people from the depression era did not forget that, I was able to pay off my mortgage with all the money they didnt spend

April 17, 2024, 5:37 p.m.

The deal recognizes the First Nation's title throughout Haida Gwaii, which is made up of more than 150 islands about 90 kilometres west of British Columbia's north coast.
However, it does not impact private property or government jurisdictions, and Rankin has said that litigation would have created "uncertainty for residents and businesses."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-haida-gwaii-title-agreement-1.7173601

I wish I had Eby's unbreakable confidence that nothing will come from this but sunshine and rainbows.  Maybe litigation is not the way to go, but the NDP's pre-election speed run on indigenous title will almost certainly come with future litigation.

I can't imagine what a business would think if it were in the Charlotte's.  I know many fishing lodges up there and they are all on foreshore leases that would be, essentially, indian land.  I bet there will be fallout from this on that.

April 17, 2024, 9:46 p.m.

That's really cool.  Thanks for sharing.  My family was Scottish, but I am not sure which event caused them to leave Scotland.

money

The Scottish money famine of the 1800s?

The Scots who came to Upper Canada at the time in question came because of two events. One was the Highland Patato Famine or  Gaiseadh a’ bhuntàta of 1846 to roughly 1856. However it was actions done by the English Parliament to address the "Scottish Problem" by any means necessary. From The Highland Dress act, clan chiefs removed, suppression of Highland Culture, and to the use of the British Army. Use of the British Army was also used to aid in the Highland Clearances where sheep where deemed more valuable then people by the English. And permission was given to use the British Army to force the people of the Highlands off the land. Whole villages marched at sword and gun point to boats away from the Highlands. 

Actions done by the English that today would be called ethnic cleansing. And last July got to experience first hand the continuation of the English mindset of trying to erase the Scottish and Highland people.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18595351.potato-famine-hit-scotland-hard/

April 21, 2024, 10:58 p.m.

Seeing as it was St Patty's day yesterday here's some interesting news of a connection between Indigenous peoples here and the Irish during the potato famine. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-first-nations-irish-famine-donations-1.7143918

What is interesting is that the First Nations in this part of Canada like the Tyendinaga Mohawk and Six Nations to name two adopted Irish and Scottish Celtic children who where orphaned. Say that as that was only 32 years after the end of the War of 1812- ended in 1815. And during the period when the federal government at the time decided that since a war was with the US was becoming less likely during those year that the interaction with First Nations in Eastern Canada would be removed from the militia and handed fully to the civilian government offices. And from what understand a great deal of effort was put by militia forces into fostering relationships with the First Nations at that time. So am guessing that had a affect as well.

April 21, 2024, 11:02 p.m.

Found this about the Seven Nations Confederation along the St Lawrence. While Wiki if you read it there is belief that on the US side of the St Lawrence the US government screwed the nations over. And refuse to revisit anything that would put that history in doubt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Nations_of_Canada

April 22, 2024, 9:15 a.m.

It is a tough time to discuss these things with nuance, but I think stories like the one Enduramil posted should be shared more widely as part of Canadian Indigenous history.    I don't know how many of you guys take indigenous training courses but it is a requirement that I take a few hours every year so I have taken several.  I find they are either politically inert and mostly stick with the basic facts and stats on the various nations or they cover the history of anti-indigenous government policies.  Just a view from 20,000 feet.  I have yet to see anything that covers how people interacted.

April 22, 2024, 10 a.m.

It is a tough time to discuss these things with nuance, but I think stories like the one Enduramil posted should be shared more widely as part of Canadian Indigenous history.    I don't know how many of you guys take indigenous training courses but it is a requirement that I take a few hours every year so I have taken several.  I find they are either politically inert and mostly stick with the basic facts and stats on the various nations or they cover the history of anti-indigenous government policies.  Just a view from 20,000 feet.  I have yet to see anything that covers how people interacted.

Interesting FB reel a cousin shared. Don't know if it is easy to see. Gist is the woman talks about being tired of endlessly talking about generational trauma and such around that. As she says what about the other generational parts? Love, relationships, and so on? Interesting idea as when consider it in other arenas am dealing with there is discussion around the concept of generational trauma. 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/507635225022767