2024 F1 Season

March 25, 2024, 8:57 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Anyone want to explain the validity of Alonso's penalty?

Seems like from the data he lifted off and even down-shifted through a typically high speed corner which effectively brake-checked Russell.  I don't really understand where creative defensive racing ends and penalties begin though.  That just seems like Alonso doing whatever he needs to hold his place in the last laps (but I'm a super noob to this).

Also - call it now - Sainz to RB in 2025?  I don't see how Checo keeps that seat.

March 25, 2024, 3:58 p.m.

IMO, Checo has kept his seat cause he brings sponsorship money with him. In Australia he had a 3 place grid penalty due to impeding in qualifying & then finished 5th in the race, all while driving for the team with probably the best car on the grid. Another weekend where he under performs. Fire his ass already!

March 26, 2024, 10:18 a.m.

Checo is not a bad driver, but they need someone a little more hungry in that 2nd RB seat IMO. Even before this season I thought Sainz was great....but I think canning him for Hammy is not the best....but only time will tell. I hope he gets car next season. RB would be an interesting move....going to be a crazy silly season this year!

Danny needs to have some great races, but I fear he is done....given a lot of chances and keeps on letting the teams down...maybe time to move to the announcer side of things. Both Pierre and Ocon...need to go too...just all of Alpine...let's get Audi in there! I think Kmag and Hulk have run their course too...but both got points in that shitty Haas car...so I am probably wrong there...lol.

March 27, 2024, 6:57 p.m.

Gasly & Ocon are good drivers. They have both won a race before. They don't need to go. They might look bad now, but it's because the team they drive for has the worst car.

March 27, 2024, 11:15 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: switch

Anyone want to explain the validity of Alonso's penalty?

Seems like from the data he lifted off and even down-shifted through a typically high speed corner which effectively brake-checked Russell.  I don't really understand where creative defensive racing ends and penalties begin though.  That just seems like Alonso doing whatever he needs to hold his place in the last laps (but I'm a super noob to this).

If Russell hadn't lost it into the gravel I doubt there would have been a penalty.  Maybe they think it's a safety thing, but a lot of drivers (*cough* Schumacher *cough*) have done worse to keep their position.

March 28, 2024, 9:04 a.m.

Yeah, Gasley and Ocon are okay...I just don't like them...lol.

March 28, 2024, 6:29 p.m.

I think Schumi is the best F1 driver of all time. He is also my favorite driver of all time. Having said that, he definitely screwed up coming out of the tunnel in Monte Carlo back in 2004. The worst one was swerving into Villeneuve at the 1997 European GP in Jerez. That one was bad.

March 29, 2024, 11:02 a.m.

Didn’t schumi do a similar move on Damon Hill once too?  

Senna v prost had some dirty tactics too

April 1, 2024, 4:39 p.m.

There's a forum for F1 here?

I LOVE YOU.

April 1, 2024, 8:22 p.m.

Thanks but I’m married.

April 3, 2024, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Didn’t schumi do a similar move on Damon Hill once too?  

Senna v prost had some dirty tactics too

That was during the 1994 Australian GP. Schumi side-swiped the wall, came back on track & in the next corner collided with Hill, who was trying to pass on the inside. Stewards called it a racing incident & assessed no penalties. Neither car could continue. As Schumi was one point ahead in the standings, he took the title (his first of seven). Most people thought Schumacher was in the wrong.

April 3, 2024, 9:54 a.m.

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder Stuminator.

Damon Hill kind of reminds me of Jacques Villeneuve and Nico Rosberg in that they all had legendary F1 dads, all won 1 championship, and then kind of disappeared.

April 3, 2024, 10:36 a.m.

IMO, when Damon & Jacques won titles, it was more the car winning it, than them winning it. The real good drivers can do reasonably well in a car that isn't that great. Frank Williams always used to stress it was the car that won races, not the drivers.

April 3, 2024, 3:55 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

IMO, when Damon & Jacques won titles, it was more the car winning it, than them winning it. The real good drivers can do reasonably well in a car that isn't that great. Frank Williams always used to stress it was the car that won races, not the drivers.

Very true.  Still very true in fact.

April 3, 2024, 7:53 p.m.

There have been a few guys over the years who can work miracles with a crap car. Some drivers cannot adapt very well to changes to the car when they are made. Kimi had trouble with that. Perez clearly has that problem now. Guys like Schumi & Alonso could be / can be monsters in any car.