Where are you willing to splurge on gear?

Feb. 7, 2024, 2:48 p.m.

Brakes are the single items that I am very picky about and will pay for - not trickstuff prices mind you...
I have moved through Hayes Dominion to Magura MT7s to Hope T3V4s and now on Hope T4E4s. Finger feel for braking and modulation is very important to me along with ease of bleed / repair.

Feb. 7, 2024, 4:46 p.m.

I like my carbon wheels purely for the reliability/lack of having to frequently true/tension them. WeAreOne's on sale are tough to argue against. I'm happy with my Unions on 1/1's but also kinda wish I had waited for the black friday Convergence on Hydra deal which was just nuts. I cannot understand paying 3 grand for Reynolds. The only other brand I'd consider is Reserve.

Also +1 on Deathgrips, DD MaxxGrip Assegai up front and DHR II MaxxTerra rear, quality brakes/pads/rotors (Shimano XT for me). And suspension.

Feb. 7, 2024, 7:37 p.m.

Brakes. I like brakes that feel right

Feb. 9, 2024, 7:23 a.m.

I find that these days, most mid-level stuff is more than good enough for me.

With the rampant consumerism in the MTB world and the speed at which the latest and greatest gets replaced with something "better", it's also easy to find slightly older high-end stuff for great prices. Either used or new old stock. In the slipstream of the bleeding edge you can live like a king on a pauper's budget.

Personally I've always rather splurged on trips. I get used to new gear pretty quickly but the experience of seeing a new place and riding new trails is always better IMHO and the memories last a lifetime.

Feb. 9, 2024, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I find that these days, most mid-level stuff is more than good enough for me.

With the rampant consumerism in the MTB world and the speed at which the latest and greatest gets replaced with something "better", it's also easy to find slightly older high-end stuff for great prices. Either used or new old stock. In the slipstream of the bleeding edge you can live like a king on a pauper's budget.

Personally I've always rather splurged on trips. I get used to new gear pretty quickly but the experience of seeing a new place and riding new trails is always better IMHO and the memories last a lifetime.

Any bike I ride is usually a 50/50 mix of new parts and sale parts / classified finds. This last season of huge sales/discounts/selloffs pushed this mix on my FS build up to around 80% bargain finds including the frame.

Feb. 9, 2024, 10:59 a.m.

Agree with the last two posts, I always build up frames from scratch, put on a mix of old parts and a few new ones I could get on sale, and then always be looking for the right deals new or used to get the updates I want/need. Also...knowing the difference between a want and a need is good to have too...lol.

This is one of the reasons I am on Banshee, they only release new bikes when needed (or their factory fucks up...lol)...I hate the yearly consumerism led yearly component refresh. If you don't have a significant upgrade, leave it alone IMO.

Feb. 9, 2024, 1:12 p.m.

I bought 2 dentist grade bikes in the last 5 yrs, I never used to spend that kind of money but its probably cuz they keep sending me money

I havent really modifyed anything cuz i think they pretty much got it right so I just keep repalcing what wears out

Instead of buying something else and saying they are as good as Maxxis I have always just bought Maxxis

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 9, 2024, 2:09 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 9, 2024, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

In the slipstream of the bleeding edge you can live like a king on a pauper's budget.

I feel like this is (or should be) the goal. It's rare that we see huge gains in performance from one model upgrade to the next, so being willing to wait a few product cycles and buy closeouts is a great way to get quality product for next to nothing. Case in point I just picked up a Fox Proframe for $140.

Feb. 9, 2024, 1:25 p.m.

In order of splurging,

Brakes, Handlebars, tires, frame, pedals, shoes, saddle, hubs, everything else.

I love good brakes and I will spend for them. My main mtb has got Magura MT7s. My gravel bike has Paul Klampers and Neo Retro cantis with Hunter Nugz. About to buy Hopes for my rigid mtb I am building.

Handlebars. I like a high rise and I like a bit of back sweep. Often it is tricky to get that right but I have found almost nothing makes more difference to my ride then hand placement.

Frame. I don't know I splurge but it has to fit me and have a geo I like.

Tires. I mean they kind of matter. Maxxis DHF front, Forekaster rear on the 29in. Maxxis DHF front, Ardent rear on 26in. I don't see the need to try anything else for my mountain biking. The rigid and gravel bike may be interesting though to figure out tires.

Pedals. Keep you attached to the bike. I have found I love a good pedal. Same with flat shoes. 5.10s and done even if they do wear out a bit quick.

Saddle. Brooks C15 or C17.

Hope hubs.

The rest depends on what money I have.

Last edited by: 93EXCivic on Feb. 9, 2024, 1:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 14, 2024, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I bought 2 dentist grade bikes in the last 5 yrs, I never used to spend that kind of money but its probably cuz they keep sending me money

I havent really modifyed anything cuz i think they pretty much got it right so I just keep repalcing what wears out

Instead of buying something else and saying they are as good as Maxxis I have always just bought Maxxis

100% on the tires. I bought different brands twice over the years and was so angrily disappointed. And it's not like they saved me much money either. Maxxis makes a good tire variant for every application I have need for. At these prices I'm not trying anything else.

Feb. 14, 2024, 12:57 p.m.

agreed, re: tires (maxxis, specifically). happy to have settled on rubber that works (very) well for me, and no longer bother exploring the vast landscape for alternatives. now just keep an eye open for sales & snap up said happytires whether i immediately need them or not; works out pretty reasonably.

Feb. 14, 2024, 3:10 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

agreed, re: tires (maxxis, specifically). happy to have settled on rubber that works (very) well for me, and no longer bother exploring the vast landscape for alternatives. now just keep an eye open for sales & snap up said happytires whether i immediately need them or not; works out pretty reasonably.

Speaking of... MEC has 25% off Maxxis tires until Feb 29.

Feb. 14, 2024, 8:33 p.m.

I splurged on my most recent frame purchase. After the niggles and frustrations with the previous one I'm very happy with my choice. 

The parts will lego around, but having a happy horse to hang them on is excellent.

Feb. 15, 2024, 11:41 a.m.

re: used parts I've always found it easier to evaluate and be happy with the condition of used parts vs complete bikes, especially if buying online and not able to see it in person first. I don't want to think I got a deal and then need to replace a chain, cassette, chainring, etc. But I'll eagerly buy a used frame for a good deal.

I wouldn't say I splurge anywhere consistently. Tires sure, but I still wait for deals. I used to say hubs but for me that means DT 350s, nothing fancier. I'm happy on most drivetrains I've used, but GX has been a durable choice I don't have to think much about so it's on two bikes. In general the mid grade stuff is just really good now.

Feb. 15, 2024, 1:57 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: XXX_er

100% on the tires. I bought different brands twice over the years and was so angrily disappointed. And it's not like they saved me much money either. Maxxis makes a good tire variant for every application I have need for. At these prices I'm not trying anything else.

Life is too short to ride shitty tires, so you either have to ride the  shitty tires or if you decide to buy maxxis on top of whatever you decided sucked  it adds up to a huge waste of $$$.