Mattoc Pro?

Jan. 23, 2024, 5:41 p.m.

Paging Andrew and anyone else who has used it yet:

The Mattoc Pro is top of the list for my upcoming REEB SST, chiefly for its weight and ostensible ease of switching between 140 and 150 travel, but also its undeniably classy look. 

That being the case, how quick/easy is the travel adjust? I’d love to be able to bump up the front travel to match with coil on occasion, but if it’s much more than a 15 minute task I don’t know that I’d bother. Can it be done without removing the fork from the bike?

Additionally, I’d say that “xc to light enduro” describes my riding just about perfectly, and I’m 175 pounds at fighting weight, probably closer to 185-190 now. Do you think it would be suitable or too flexy, given that?

Jan. 23, 2024, 7:44 p.m.

Assuming the Mattoc is like a Mezzer, changing the fork travel requires removing the air spring. This requires removing the lowers and unthreading the air spring from the stanchion from the bottom (opposite the IRT) and removing/adding spacers. 15-30 minute job depending on experience. It requires disconnecting the front brake at a minimum.

Alternatively, you could set the air spring at 150mm travel, then with a pump attached, push the fork down 10mm, then disconnect the pump. The travel will stay at 140mm until you reconnect the pump. I have talked to some owners who run their fork like this by default as it increases the size of the negative air spring.

Get a good digital pump with a two stage head. My mezzer is quite sensitive to changes in pressure. You can feel 5 psi difference on the trail.

Last edited by: Ripbro on Jan. 23, 2024, 7:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2024, 12:35 a.m.

Posted by: Ripbro

Assuming the Mattoc is like a Mezzer, changing the fork travel requires removing the air spring. This requires removing the lowers and unthreading the air spring from the stanchion from the bottom (opposite the IRT) and removing/adding spacers. 15-30 minute job depending on experience. It requires disconnecting the front brake at a minimum.

Alternatively, you could set the air spring at 150mm travel, then with a pump attached, push the fork down 10mm, then disconnect the pump. The travel will stay at 140mm until you reconnect the pump. I have talked to some owners who run their fork like this by default as it increases the size of the negative air spring.

Get a good digital pump with a two stage head. My mezzer is quite sensitive to changes in pressure. You can feel 5 psi difference on the trail.

That's a neat feature (or bug, as the case may be). Since it comes at 140, I could ride it for a bit that way, change it to 150 to get a feel for the travel adjust/lowers service and then immediately try the "hacked" 140 with the 150mm air spring to see how it feels. If that provides a more desirable ride feel, that would almost be better, since I don't think I'll run it at 150 too frequently, but it would be nice to not have to remove the fork or brake to swap it. I also have been looking for an excuse to upgrade shock pumps, so this may be it. Perhaps a stupid question, but if one were to go from 150 to 140mm travel in this way (or vice versa), would it require more or less pressure?

Jan. 24, 2024, 7:09 a.m.

I think the trick works because these forks don’t have the equalization dimple between the positive and negative chambers like most other forks.

Not sure how to deal with pressures going between the two. Usually more travel means running less pressure in both chambers

Last edited by: Ripbro on Jan. 24, 2024, 7:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.