Help me buy a hardtail

Jan. 19, 2024, 7:33 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: Hepcat

Was at the shop test riding commuter bikes yesterday, yes steel is heavy but the differences in ride quality is unmistakable from the moment the tires hit the tarmac. 

I hear soft riding aluminum frames exist, but maaan I have tried or owned a large number of them over the years and every one of them felt like it was rattling my fillings loose. 

Aluminum full suspension however is sublime.

My aluminum enigma is MUCH smoother than either of my chromags were. 

The rear dropouts look like this:

The seatstay bridge looks like this:

Both of these CNCd components are specifically designed for compliance. 

It makes a big difference.

Enigma are UK based aren't they?

Did you just take a chance and order sight-unseen?

Not this one. This is a Banshee Enigma.

Jan. 22, 2024, 12:49 p.m.

That Banshee is a thing of beauty but it's 27.5" (and over budget!). At that price, I'd expect compliance designed in....

SC Chamelon is alloy but is out of stock in my size (and no stock likely before June) - I would have liked to try one to check how compliant it was. I had an alloy Kona Kilauea BITD [1994?] but I can't remember how compliant it was but my only other (non-FS) alloy bike is a cheap Kona Jake which is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden so I'm a bit wary of cheap alloy

So, the Kona Unit X is still the favoured option but I can't find one in my size. Anyone know of any shops with an XL in stock?? Failing that, I'd try a L for size....

Jan. 23, 2024, 8:53 a.m.

That Banshee is a thing of beauty but it's 27.5" (and over budget!). At that price, I'd expect compliance designed in....

SC Chamelon is alloy but is out of stock in my size (and no stock likely before June) - I would have liked to try one to check how compliant it was. I had an alloy Kona Kilauea BITD [1994?] but I can't remember how compliant it was but my only other (non-FS) alloy bike is a cheap Kona Jake which is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden so I'm a bit wary of cheap alloy

So, the Kona Unit X is still the favoured option but I can't find one in my size. Anyone know of any shops with an XL in stock?? Failing that, I'd try a L for size....

Remember the bikes we rode in 94 had small wheels, 2.1 tires with tubes with high pressures. Tire size and pressures are way way more important than frame material. When I put my 2.3 gravel tires on my Chameleon I need about 5 psi more than when I run my 2.5 tires. That is a noticeable difference. There are different feels with different materials and also with different gauge and shapes of tubes. Carbon is often said to absorb vibrations better and I can say I have felt that on a road bike. But it’s not a huge difference. And was that the material or the frame design I was feeling? 

Don’t get too hung up on materials. There are great bikes made from all materials.

Jan. 28, 2024, 11:25 a.m.

Jenson has Big Honzo DL's on sale for $1345 CDN

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Big-Honzo-DL-Bike-2023

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 28, 2024, 1:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 28, 2024, 1:03 p.m.

Lynn Valley Bikes had a couple of ESD frames cheap last time I was in there too.

Full builds discounted https://www.lynnvalleybikes.com/product/kona-honzo-esd-441559-1.htm

Jan. 28, 2024, 1:07 p.m.

^^^

Much better build, too bad it doesn't come with brakes tho.

Jan. 28, 2024, 1:29 p.m.

You can buy an equivalent spec Ibis Ripmo AF for the same price. I built up a new Chromag Rootdown with better specs for $1k less during the pandemic. Buying the ESD frame and building up would likely be cheaper than that?

March 22, 2024, 5:29 a.m.

I've decided I'd like a versatile hardtail but I've no real idea what's actually available here (Lower Mainland).

I'm after something more "xc" than hardcore as I want it to double up for bike-packing/touring and general exploring (looking for all those secret North Shore trails 😜) but I'm definitely "wheels on the ground" rather than big drops or jumps and I'm not gonna be riding double black trails.

Anyway, I want to keep it quite light (I'm expecting to do big mileage and lots of climbing) but also comfortable and probably based around 100 -120mm of travel and not extremely slack geo. For comfort, I'm thinking steel rather than alloy.

Would consider frame only or a full build.

From what I can see, most brands available locally have pretty low rent alloy hardtails which lo-rent spec.

At the other end of the scale, Landyachtz do custom (as does Dekerf but with a three year waitlist!)

Something like a Cotic Solaris, Stanton Sherpa or Pipedream Sirius would tick most boxes but I'm an awkward size so I'd prefer to try-before-i-buy and these are only available mail order from UK....

So what are the local equivalent?

Nearest mainstream equivalent I can think of is Kona Unit X but that's rigid. How do I figure out whether it's suspension corrected?

Landyachtz also have the Play 2.0 as frame only (is $649 the going rate for a CroMo frame these days?)

Also, is there much weight difference between 4130 CroMo and something like Reynolds 853?

Late reply here.  I have a Solaris Max and love it.  I'm 185cm and on a L and it fits well.   A riding mate has a Moxie and really likes it.

If I was looking at NA bikes I like the look of the Tyaughton but it's super boost so maybe a deal breaker.

March 25, 2024, 10:11 p.m.

The Tyaughton is a ridiculously fun bike for S2S riding. Heard great things about the Moxie as well.

March 26, 2024, 5:22 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

The Tyaughton is a ridiculously fun bike for S2S riding. Heard great things about the Moxie as well.

I love my Moxie, but if you're shopping that way I'd check the 29er tyre clearance. Mine is an older model, and won't clear a 29x2.3 with the sliders full long. 

I enjoy it mullet, but would like the option to fit a 29x2.5 or wider if I was looking now.

March 27, 2024, 6:15 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

I love my Moxie, but if you're shopping that way I'd check the 29er tyre clearance. Mine is an older model, and won't clear a 29x2.3 with the sliders full long. 

I enjoy it mullet, but would like the option to fit a 29x2.5 or wider if I was looking now.

My mates (new a few months back) clears a 2.4 with the stays long.

March 29, 2024, 2:55 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Posted by: velocipedestrian

My mates (new a few months back) clears a 2.4 with the stays long.

Nice, I think the first gen might have been designed as 27+, then 29 took over.

April 1, 2024, 7:56 a.m.

Posted by: yardrec

You can buy an equivalent spec Ibis Ripmo AF for the same price. I built up a new Chromag Rootdown with better specs for $1k less during the pandemic. Buying the ESD frame and building up would likely be cheaper than that?

Where you getting those $2700 Ripmos?