Aenomally Switchgrade

Dec. 31, 2023, 8:02 p.m.

Got a chance to try out my new Christmas present today. Overall I like it.

Dropping the nose feels very comfortable on steeper climbs. I cleaned Warden's today, which I haven't managed in a while. Coincidence? Probably, but the steeper seat angle sure didn't hurt.

Raising the nose on descents seemed less useful to me since my 200mm dropper gives me plenty of clearance already. The unexpected benefit was that it was easier to push the bike around with the inside of my legs against the tipped up saddle. Going to keep using it on the downs for this reason.

The unit is smaller and far more stealthy than I was expecting. I would actually prefer the lever to be a bit longer and easy to activate. In a perfect world I would prefer a bit less downward angle. I think this would make the switchgrade more useable over a wider range of climbs.

Would I spend the money to buy one? The jury is still out on that question. I do plan to keep it on my bike though

Switchgrade

https://www.aenomalyconstructs.com/collections/switchgrade-saddle-control-device

Old and slow

Last edited by: skooks on Dec. 31, 2023, 8:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 1, 2024, 12:13 a.m.

how much did you need to lower the post for the same seat height?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Jan. 1, 2024, 12:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2024, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Approx 14 mm.

Jan. 2, 2024, 1:56 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

Approx 14 mm.

thx

Jan. 3, 2024, 9:36 p.m.

Are you able to post a photo of if it installed in the bike?

I usually am skeptical of such products but this one intrigues me. Would love to hear more as you get more time on it.

Jan. 4, 2024, 5:31 p.m.

Here you go..

Old and slow

Jan. 4, 2024, 5:38 p.m.

The switchgrade definitely works for making steep climbs easier.  It gets less comfortable as the climb flattens out though.  I find that my saddle feels like it is angled up after switching from the climb to neutral position, even though it's at my normal dead flat setting. This feeling doesn't last long though.

Jan. 5, 2024, 3:29 a.m.

do you have it in the middle = 0° position? they advertise like 5 different configurations to mount

does it really feel like the saddle has more drop in the downhill position or does it just equalize the amount it adds to initial saddle height?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Jan. 5, 2024, 3:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2024, 4:21 a.m.

Rad, thank you for the photos!

Jan. 5, 2024, 11:18 a.m.

do you have it in the middle = 0° position? they advertise like 5 different configurations to mount

does it really feel like the saddle has more drop in the downhill position or does it just equalize the amount it adds to initial saddle height?

The Middle position is a neutral/flat position. From there you have two other positions on the current unit, one (climb) that drops the nose -10° and one (descend) that raises the nose +12°.

Assuming you do not change the amount of drop your post has (e.g. 170mm post becomes 170mm post + Switchgrade) it does feel like an increase in drop on steep descents. Yes, this does require you to insert your dropper further into your frame, but the amount of increase from DH mode feels like a greater amount of bike-body separation than the extra height the clamp adds if that makes sense.

I didn't use the nose-drop climb mode much as I prefer my saddle ~ level and run my bars fairly high, but I did really enjoy the downhill position. I'd like a two-position Switchgrade that was just neutral and descend. 

https://nsmb.com/articles/aenomaly-constructs-switchgrade-saddle-angle-adjuster/

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Jan. 5, 2024, 11:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2024, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

The Middle position is a neutral/flat position. From there you have two other positions on the current unit, one (climb) that drops the nose -10° and one (descend) that raises the nose +12°.

Assuming you do not change the amount of drop your post has (e.g. 170mm post becomes 170mm post + Switchgrade) it does feel like an increase in drop on steep descents. Yes, this does require you to insert your dropper further into your frame, but the amount of increase from DH mode feels like a greater amount of bike-body separation than the extra height the clamp adds if that makes sense.

I didn't use the nose-drop climb mode much as I prefer my saddle ~ level and run my bars fairly high, but I did really enjoy the downhill position. I'd like a two-position Switchgrade that was just neutral and descend. 

https://nsmb.com/articles/aenomaly-constructs-switchgrade-saddle-angle-adjuster/

I would also like a 2 position Switchgrade, but just the neutral and climb modes. Trade you my downhill mode for your climb mode?

I don't actually mind the descend mode, it just seems less useful to me on a long travel dropper.

Jan. 5, 2024, 3:18 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

I don't actually mind the descend mode, it just seems less useful to me on a long travel dropper.

That’s a fair point. I tend to lower all my posts to 170-175mm travel. So I’d probably notice it more than someone the same height running a longer dropper.

With DH mode I like that the saddle is still there but not in the way.

Jan. 9, 2024, 9:33 a.m.

Love it but I agree that 2 positions would do. Or, I feel that the dh is too far back for me to be very useful. It's great if there are zero punchy climbs in your route but if I put the seat up in the DH position its pretty uncomfortable.

Jan. 20, 2024, 2:56 p.m.

As a saddle down user since my G16 arrived I've been digging the Switchgrade. It hasn't been much of an adjustment as my 9.8 dropper always need to be helped up LOL

I picked up a "blemished" model so the price was easier on the wallet.

With a 185mm Revive + Switchgrade my post is slammed in my frame. A slight tyre buzz was noticed on ALine this fall likely wouldn't have happened without the Switchgrade; but 185 is too much drop for myself and will be reducing the stroke soon-ish.

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on Jan. 20, 2024, 3:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pix
Feb. 13, 2024, 10:47 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

It seems like a lot of people would prefer this product if it was 2-position rather than 3. Dear Aenomaly.